You can get an abortion in South Dakota but only with an in-person provider. Telemedicine for abortion care is prohibited in the state.
- South Dakota requires state-directed counseling, then waiting 72 hours before having an abortion. This counseling will require two trips to the clinic.
- If you are under age 18 in South Dakota, a parent or guardian must be notified of abortion. If this is not an option for you, contact the JB Hotline.
Learn more about your options at abortionfinder.org
There is only one abortion clinic in South Dakota. You can find more options – including out-of-state providers – at ineedana.com, where you can easily search by zip code.
- Planned Parenthood – Sioux Falls (605) 361-5100
Medicaid and most private insurances do not cover abortion care in South Dakota. You can contact these groups for help with funding, transportation, and other logistics.
- JEN (Justice through Empowerment Network) (605) 334-5065
- South Dakota Access for Every Woman (605) 338-3350
- Indigenous Women Rising (505) 398-1990
- NAF Hotline Fund 1-800-772-9100
If you are a South Dakota voter wanting to preserve and expand equitable abortion access, we suggest getting involved with:
Where is AOD available?
California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Georgia • Hawaii • Illinois • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Minnesota • Montana • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • Oregon • Rhode Island • Vermont • Virginia • Washington
*Patients in D.C. must provide a Maryland or Virginia mailing address.*